Friday, March 11, 2011

Healthy Habit # 12 Daily Walk


Cute couple enjoying their walk
After meeting with my dietitians/nutritionist (Mary) a few years ago, the topic of walking more each day as part of my daily routine so I purchased one of many pedometers since then. I track how many steps taken each day and enter that number into my tracking worksheet. 

  • Take the stairs instead of the elevator;
  • Walk to the store;
  • Window shop at the mall;
  • Leave your desk and visit your co-worker instead of sending him an email.


Good shoes help

Some benefits from walking:
  • Lowers your risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, colon cancer and diabetes;
  • An opportunity to clear your mind (some days I take two or three);
  • Allows you to look for something beautiful (I take pictures some days – flowers, birds, etc);
  • Spring and Fall are my favorite times of year to walk outdoors;
  • Helps you handle stress;
  • Helps you feel more energetic; and
  • Improves your self-esteem.

How do you add walking into your daily routine?  What benefits additional benefits do you get from walking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...