Friday, June 17, 2011

International Picnic Day - 2011



Today is International Picnic Day, a day for packing up a lunch and going outside sitting under a tree or at a picnic table, and enjoying nature.


I remember growing up and taking family trips to see grandparents.  My mom would always pack a cooler full of drinks and a basket full of sandwiches and treats to have for us when we stopped along the way.  It was always such an adventure to finally get to our picnic spot and enjoy our lunch and explore the world around us.

As I got older I always thought how romantic it would be to pack up a picnic basket and blanket, find a nice secluded spot and take my fellow out for a wonderful relaxing afternoon of eating grapes and reading poetry.  Unfortunately, my fellow was more of a cold pizza in front of the television kind of guy.


When my son came along my mom would pack up a picnic and take him down to the river and have many wonderful days sharing the afternoon with him.  When I remarried, I found Mr. Romantic.  We would go out on the Natchez Trace and take hot dogs to roast over the grills they have out along the trace.  When we finished catching our lunch on fire my husband would play catch with my son while I cheered them on.


I never did have my romantic picnic under an old oak tree with grapes and poetry, but I haven't completely given up on the idea either.  I gave 2 of my stepson's picnic baskets as one of their wedding gifts hoping they would use them to take a day and spend it with their wives under the shade of an old Oak tree.


So today, pack up a lunch, you don't need a special basket, or even a special someone.  Have lunch outside and breath the fresh air, enjoy the sunshine, and relax!


3 comments:

  1. Oh certainly! And there's always something ever so sweet about taking a handful of this and that to keep your spirits up along a long walk somewhere yet to be discovered. Its also an opportunity to just gather ones thoughts and, if you're with company, show them a little care and nurture by preparing something for them. Food is devoured quickly, much like the fleeting moments that surround them which is why a picnic can be more about savouring the moment while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me feel mellow towards my mother. We had lots of picnics when I was young and growing. I inherited her basket. I believe Mother would be happy to know that her 17 year old great grand daughter borrowed it last month to use on a date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me feel mellow towards my mother. We had lots of picnics when I was young and growing. I inherited her basket. I believe Mother would be happy to know that her 17 year old great grand daughter borrowed it last month to use on a date!

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...