Friday, June 10, 2011

National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day




Wow, that's a mouthful—of deliciousness! There aren't many pies that combine fruits and veggies (rhubarb is a vegetable in case you didn't know). Any dessert that gets us to eat our veggies definitely deserves its own day.

This tangy, tart treat was first made popular during the early 1800's after Ben Franklin introduced rhubarb seeds to the North American east coast. Nicknamed "pieplant," rhubarb quickly gained fame as it began being cooked into pies. Yum!


One observation during my live is lots of folks never heard of Strawberry Rhubarb Pie and generally those folks had limited exposure to the farm life. Maybe it is just me and my old fashion way of thinking, but having spent many years on the farms with my grandparents, aunts and uncles – they found interesting and wonderful ways of making, cooking, presenting and eating food from all food groups. Heck, most of us city and suburban folks don't have time to pick their own strawberries any more. That was part of the fun – picking your own fruit and veggies for your meals. I am not suggesting going to life on the farm again, but there is something to be said about being one with nature.
Please share your favorite recipe, we love to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...