Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Milk Chocolate Day

By Diane Forrest

Today is National Milk Chocolate Day, or Diane's Day!  As some of you may know I am a closet chocoholic, ok…maybe I have come out of the closet a time or two.  Who can blame me?  For me, chocolate is so much better at lifting my spirits than almost anything else.  Just popping a little Hershey’s kiss in my mouth brings a smile to my lips and a warm feeling all over.

Wondering why chocolate has such an effect on me I decided to do a little research on the matter.  Some sources claim that chocolate is an aphrodisiac; others claim that it causes the release of endorphins in the body.  Still others state that it causes dopamine to be released in the blood, causing the effect of a drug much like opium. “We want chocolate in times of stress, anxiety, pain and so on. Chocolate is a natural analgesic, or pain killer."

There are several types of chocolate, Dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate.  Milk chocolate is made with...of course, Milk.  It is a process that was first invented by Milton Hershey, and was cheaper to make.  This is perhaps the most famous chocolate in North America, and the taste that most Americans have become accustomed to.  I must admit it is my favorite as well.

Giving chocolate is a great idea as well.  Back in the day young men would bring chocolates to their dates; it’s a favorite during all the holidays, especially on Valentine's Day.  Nothing makes me happier than a box of candy on Groundhog Day or Arbor Day too!

When my husband's first grandchild was born, instead of passing out the traditional cigars, I ordered a couple of boxes of the World's Finest Chocolate candy bars for my stepson.  He liked them so much he forgot to pass them out...and ate them all instead!

No matter what the reason, I love chocolate, it makes me happy.  So today on National Milk Chocolate Day, I am gonna grab a couple of Hershey kisses from my stash and hope you all do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...