Friday, August 19, 2011

Get Your Fresh...


Today is National Lemonade Day.  Lemonade is a drink made with the juice of lemons, water and sugar.  You can also add other fruit flavors to the mix.  Fruits such as peach, raspberry, watermelon, cherry and strawberry, there is even jalapeno lemonade.  I know this because my cousin got married at the end of July in the middle of a heat wave, outside at a family farm in Austin, Texas.  She served Strawberry lemonade and jalapeno lemonade.  Apparently folks in Texas like lots of things hot!

Not only is lemonade good and full of vitamin C, but it is also a great way for young kids to learn about business.  I’m sure everyone has either had a lemonade stand, know someone who has had one, or passed some kids with a lemonade stand.   Just a few weeks ago I was driving down the street in my neighborhood when these boys chased me down asking if I wanted to buy some of their lemonade.  I think it is an unwritten law that you must buy a cup of lemonade from a kid.  I know I remember when I was young, how important I felt earning my own money.

Recently I saw on the news about some officials closing down a kid's lemonade stand at the U.S. Open and fined their parents 500 dollars.  These kids were trying to raise money for pediatric cancer.  The matter was resolved, the fine was waived, and the kids were allowed to set up at a different location.  I wonder what kind of lesson those kids learned from that experience.

Another type of lemonade is pink lemonade.  The New York Times credited Henry E. "Sanchez" Allott as the inventor of pink lemonade in his obituary: At 15 he ran away with a circus and worked in lemonade concession. One day while mixing a tub of the orthodox yellow kind he dropped some red cinnamon candies in by mistake. The resulting rose-tinted mixture sold so surprisingly well that he continued to dispense his chance discovery. 

My mother made a pink lemonade pie that was my brother's favorite.  It is really quick and easy to make, and no way to mess it up.  All you have to do is stir, pour and refrigerate!  Even I can make it!  Here is the recipe:

Pink lemonade Pie Recipe:
Ingredients
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (6 ounce) can frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
  • 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 2 (8 inch) prepared graham cracker crusts

Directions
  • In a large bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk and lemonade concentrate. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into pie crusts. Refrigerate until completely chilled.


Best Lemonade Ever recipe:
Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups lemon juice

Directions
  • In a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
  • Remove seeds from lemon juice, but leave pulp. In pitcher, stir together chilled syrup, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups water.


Jalapeno Lemonade Recipe
makes about 8 cups
  • for jalapeno sugar syrup
  • 1 jalapeno, cut into 4 pieces (remove seeds for a milder lemonade)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/8th teaspoon salt
  • other ingredients
  • 1 cup lemon juice (juice of about 6 large lemons), strained
  • 6 cups water


  • Place the chopped jalapeno and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Continue boiling till about half the water has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Then add sugar and salt and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer just until sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Let the syrup cool for about 5 minutes.
  • Place a strainer over a pitcher. Pour the jalapeno sugar syrup, lemon juice and 6 cups water through the strainer into the pitcher. Stir well. Serve chilled over ice cubes.


For more information about lemonade day visit this site: http://www.lemonadeday.org/home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...