Sunday, August 7, 2011

Let them know...


Today we celebrate Friendship Day.  This day was initially started by the greeting card companies as a way to sell cards.  I mean...August is a slow month...no holidays, and No Monday's off for government employees.    It's the end of summer and the beginning of school, so we needed something to perk up the month.  This is a pretty new occasion, in fact, on April 27, 2011, The General Assembly of the United Nation declared July 30 as official International Friendship Day.

Friendship Day was originally promoted by Joyce Hall, the founder of Hallmark Cards in 1919, and intended on first Sunday of August to be a day where people celebrated their friendships by sending cards. The first Sunday in August was chosen as the center of the largest lull in holiday celebrations.  By the 1940's people stopped sending friendship cards, because they realized it was just a gimmick promoted by the greeting card companies.

However, other countries also promoted Friendship Day, and they still keep the holiday active.  In fact, in 1998, Winnie the Pooh was named the ambassador for Friendship Day for the United Nations.

Many people exchange greeting cards and friendship bracelets.  With the wide spread use of social networks, the day has become more and more popular.  When my husband was in the hospital, my cousin's little girl and her friend made him a friendship bracelet of many different colors.  He loved that bracelet so much, because of the thought behind it and the work they put into it, that he never took it off.
So today, on Friendship day, take a few moments to let your friends know that you are thinking of them, and how much their friendship means to you.  You don't have to buy fancy cards or gifts (however chocolate is always appreciated).  You can send a text, email or just call and sing this song:


You've Got a Friend
by:  Carole King
When you're down and troubled
and you need a helping hand
and nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
and soon I will be there
to brighten up even your darkest nights.
You just call out my name,
and you know wherever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah baby
to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
all you have to do is call
and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
You've got a friend.
If the sky above you
should turn dark and full of clouds
and that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
and soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer or fall
all you got to do is call
and I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend?
People can be so cold.
They'll hurt you and desert you.
Well they'll take your soul if you let them.
Oh yeah, but don't you let them.
You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Oh babe, don't you know that,
Winter spring summer or fall,
Hey now, all you've got to do is call.
Lord, I'll be there, yes I will.
You've got a friend.
You've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
You've got a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...