Monday, September 26, 2011

National Chocolate Milk Day

By Diane Forrest,

I bet you thought I forgot about chocolate huh?  Well not hardly!  Today is National Chocolate Milk Day...a great day to celebrate.  Chocolate milk was invented back in the late 1680's by a man named  Hans Sloane.  Today you can buy it premixed or make it at home with either a powder or syrup.  There are many different brands to choose from and can be served either hot or cold.    When it begins to spoil it give the odor of coffee.


Chocolate milk has been given a bad rap lately in the school system.  Some have banned the drink from their schools insisting that it leads to childhood obesity.  Well you can imagine the trouble this stirred up.  Kids stopped drinking milk all together, parents complained. They also received letters and petitions from a slew of nutritionists and influential special interest groups.  Thankfully reformulated chocolate milk was introduced to the cafeterias and almost everyone was happy once again. 

Personally, I can tell you Chocolate milk is the only milk I drink.  I can't drink regular milk, can't think about regular milk...can't watch someone else drink it, and Im even having a hard time writing the words.  If I didn’t have chocolate milk, I would never get my calcium and vitamin D requirements. 

So today, on National Chocolate Milk Day, celebrate by having an ice cold one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...