Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day Light Savings Ends



By Diane Forrest,

Who wouldn't like an extra hour of sleep?  For as long as I can remember the time between springing forward and falling back has always left me a little tired.  I have always looked forward to the time I could fall back to get that extra hour snuggled in my bed especially when it is cold outside.


Modern DST was first proposed in 1895 by George Vernon Hudson from New Zeeland.  He worked shift work, and in his off time he liked to collect insects.  He wrote a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society proposing a two-hour daylight-saving shift.  Many people credit the start to William Willet, from London, who was a golfer, and was dismayed to learn how many people were sleeping the daylight hours away.


DST has many benefits.  Adding daylight to afternoons benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours, but has adverse effects on farming, evening entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun.

For me it’s a tossup.  I like my extra hour of sleep in the morning, and I also like it being light outside til 8:00 pm or later.  The only problem I had was when I, like George Hudson worked shift work.  Each year when we "fell back" I would have to work 13 hours, instead of the usual 12.


So, today, don't forget to set your clocks back and get that extra hour of sleep, cause tomorrow will be Monday again, and 6 am is still early!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...