Thursday, November 17, 2011

Healthy Skin Month

(Google Image)



By Diane Forrest, RN

After the birth of my son my skin seemed to dry up.  My face looked like those pictures you see of the desert, dry and flaky.  I tried all kinds of products to moisturize, but they only seemed to cause burning and pain, and the flakes kept coming.  I finally found something that stopped the flaking without burning, and I have used it every day since.  I have also sent it to all the other women in the family after the birth of their first child, just in case they had the same problem I did.

(Google Image)

The skin is the body's first line of defense.  It’s like the armor the knights used in ancient times.  A break in the armor could be fatal to the knights, allowing swords or arrows to enter, just like the body's skin.  A break in the skin allows bacteria and viruses to enter the body.

There are a few things you can do to keep your skin healthy.  

(Google Image) 

First of all drink plenty of water.  Water is good for the whole body, it:
  • Transports nutrients and oxygen into cells;
  • Moisturizes the air in lungs;
  • Helps with metabolism;
  • Protects our vital organ;
  • Helps our organs to absorb nutrients better;
  • Regulates body temperature;
  • Detoxifies;
  • Protects and moisturizes our joints; and
  • Keeps the skin hydrated.


Next, eat a healthy diet.  Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins.  I diet full of Vitamin C and low in fats and carbohydrates will promote younger healthier looking skin.


Third, wear sun screen when outside.  If possible, avoid the sun between 10:00 am and 4:00 p.m. and wear protective clothing.

Finally, treat your skin gently; don't use harsh chemicals when bathing.  Strong soaps will strip your skin of natural oils that protect your skin.  Don't use hot water, and limit bath times. Pat dry.

There are many products on the market for moisturizing your skin.  There are some just for your face, hands, feet and whole body.  I find these work better right after bathing while the skin is still moist.

(Google Image)

This month is Healthy Skin Month, so pay close attention to your skin, and don't get a break in your armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...