Friday, November 18, 2011

National Vichyssoise Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest,

I love potatoes!  Growing up we ate rice all the time.  I was told that my parents ate potatoes all the time and grew sick of them.  I know how they feel, because I am not fond of rice.  I eat potatoes all kinds of ways, baked, fried, boiled, mashed, scalloped, hash browned, roasted, in stew and in soup.  While I’m not much of a soup eater, I have on occasion been known to have a bowl.  One of my favorites is the potato soup from Subway.  There is another potato soup, that is served cold, called Vichyssoise.

(Google Image) 

A chef from the Ritz-Carlton hotel in New York, named Louis Diat, has been credited for the creation of this dish.  He had this to say about its origin:
"In the summer of 1917, when I had been at the Ritz seven years, I reflected upon the potato and leek soup of my childhood which my mother and grandmother used to make. I recalled how during the summer my older brother and I used to cool it off by pouring in cold milk and how delicious it was. I resolved to make something of the sort for the patrons of the Ritz"

(Google Image) 

Below is a recipe from allrecipes.com for Vichyssoise, and since it is National Vichyssoise Day, why not make a batch for yourself!

Vichyssoise

Ingredients
  • 2 leeks, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup thinly sliced potatoes
  • 2 1/3 cups chicken stock
  • Salt to taste
  • Ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 1/8 cups heavy whipping cream


Directions
  1. Gently sweat the chopped leeks and the chopped onion in butter or margarine until soft, about 8 minutes. Do NOT let them brown.
  2. Add potatoes and stock to the saucepan. Salt and pepper to taste; do not overdo them! Bring to the boil, and simmer very gently for 30 minutes.
  3. Puree in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Cool. Gently stir in the cream before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...