Thursday, December 22, 2011

Happy National Haiku Day



(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest,

I experienced several changes and new experiences  the year I started the 7th grade.  I changed schools, had several teachers, instead of just 1, we moved to a new town, and I was introduced to poetry.  We had poetry studies for 6 weeks, including memorizing poems, reading them, searching for different types, making a journal with them, and even writing them.  I still have my journal, still remember the one I memorized, Trees, by Joyce Kilmer, and I remember the haiku I wrote.

(Google Image) 

Today is National Haiku Day.  A Haiku is a very short form of Japanese poetry.  It has 17 syllables, in 3 lines.  Usually 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second line. And 5 in the third.  They are usually about the seasons, or nature.  So why not try your hand at writing some, for some examples, check out this site:  http://www.haiku.com/ below is the haiku I wrote in the 7th grade.

(Google Image) 

Pink Flower

Little pink flower
How pretty you are today
The sun shines on you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...