Sunday, December 25, 2011

Happy National Pumpkin Pie Day


(Google Image) 



By Diane Forrest,

I am not much of a pie maker, I make cookies, candy an occasional cake, but pies are somewhat frightening for me.  I think it’s the meringue.  I have never quiet mastered it, so I just steer clear of pies, well except for pecan. Those are pretty easy.  Thanksgiving was coming around, and I got to thinking about pumpkin pie.  It is the only time I ever get any, and I love it.

I was talking to a friend who asked how I made them, and since I usually buy them already made, I just told him to get some canned pumpkin.  He was in shock.  With all the baking you do, you don't make one from scratch?  So, I took this as a challenge.  I knew nothing about real pumpkins, except for carving faces in them and sitting them on my porch.

I did some research about how to prepare the pumpkin then went to the store to gather all the ingredients.  Did you know that pumpkins come in a smaller size just right for baking pies?  I was so glad about that cause all I could think of was those big huge porch sitting pumpkins.  I wasn't very hard at all to prepare the pumpkin.  All I had to do was slice a few holes in the pumpkin and place it the oven at 350 for about an hour.  Once it was baked, all I had to do was cut off the top, scoop out the seeds, and then scrape the sides with a spoon. By this time I was feeling so much like Martha Stewart I even washed and roasted the pumpkin seeds. Once you scoop out the pumpkin, just put it in a food processor and puree it, or you can use a potato masher or even hand mixer.

After getting the pumpkin ready, I was going to start on the pie filling, but as luck would have it my husband's aunt called and gave me her easy no fail recipe.  i was so happy, because the recipe I found didn't sound very good, I later found out that it was a diabetic recipe, using honey instead of sugar.  The recipe she gave me used alot of sugar, so if you aren't diabetic, I recommend you try it the next time you need a pumpkin pie.

(Google Image) 

Since today is National Pumpkin Pie Day, why not bake one now for your Christmas dinner?  You can also have a pumpkin pie shake, cheesecake, coffee or even beer.

Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

2 cups pureed pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
1 large can condensed milk
1 pie shells
*  This recipe does not call for added spices, however you may add cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice or pumpkin pie spice.

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Mix all ingredients and bake for 45 minutes, or until done. 
Makes 2 pies 
Top with whipped cream.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...