Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve 2011


(Google Image) 



By Diane Forrest,

I can't remember a New Year's Eve that I didn't spend in front of the TV watching Dick Clark, and the glittering ball drop in Time's Square.  I loved seeing all the people gather around, I knew they had to be freezing out there in the cold, but the excitement kept them warm.  I would watch all the musicians singing, and would long to be there, and to kiss my special someone at midnight.

That special midnight kiss on New Year's Eve has always been a dream of mine that I am still waiting to come true.  My prince charming would always be fast asleep at midnight, so I never got the chance. I did try to wake him up one year, but that was a disaster.  He would try to stay awake, but always fell short.

(Google Image) 

New Year's Eve is a very special time; we are saying good-bye to the old year, and hello to the new.  It's time for a fresh new start, and forgets the past.  Time to make plans and dreams for the coming year.

I guess the most memorable New Year's Eve during my lifetime was December 31, 1999, and not just because of the song I'm gonna party like it's 1999.  There were so many fears and concerns about moving forward to a new century, it was even given its own name.  Y2K.  There were so many rumors about the world coming to an end and computers crashing, and banking problems, even electrical and communication problems.  But, as it turned out, no problems at all occurred, and the new millennium went off without a hitch.

(Google Image) 

So tonight, on New Year's Eve, take some time to reflect on 2011 and all the good things that happened as well as the not so good, Sing a round of Auld Lang Syne, and if you are out celebrating, please drink responsibly.

Auld Lang Syne

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne ?
CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...