Friday, December 23, 2011

Roots


(Google Image)


Over the river and through the woods
To Grandmother's house we go.
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
Through white and drifted snow.

By Diane Forrest,

I used to sing this song every year on my way to my grandmother's house at Christmas.  Every year when I was young, we would make the three hour trip to visit grandparents, great grandmothers, great aunts and other family.  We would always take those 4 generation pictures...Great grandmother, grandmother, mother and me.  I would listen as they talked about years past, and how their Christmases were like.  One of the favorite traditions involved chocolate!  (See where I get it from?)  One of my great grandmother's sons lived in California, and couldn't come home during the holidays.  So every year he would send her a huge box of chocolate candy.   Well...because she had so many family members, she would offer each person 1 piece.  That was such a treasured piece of candy because it was sent with love, and shared with love from family across the country, to family at home.  And...it was chocolate!

(Google Image)

Today on Root Day, share some family memories with your family, and if you are like me, you may want to write the stories down, or use a tape recorder so you can pass stories along to future generations.

(Google Image)

For more information about your roots, visit http://www.ancestry.com/?o_xid=21837&o_lid=21837&o_sch=Search

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...