Tuesday, January 3, 2012

It is Spaghetti Day


(Google Image) 



By Diane Forrest,

My cousin is a great cook, she loves to try new recipes, I am not that way.  I like to stick with the tried and true.  She invited my husband and I to her home for dinner one night, and had prepared spaghetti and meatballs and lasagna.  It was delicious and my husband raved about it often.  I called her, asked her for the recipe, and set out to make it.  Since it was New Year's Eve, and it made alot, I took some to my parent's for their dinner, and my son and his friend also ate it.

Everyone loved it except for my son.  He blamed me and the spaghetti for ruining his whole year when he developed a stomach virus and spent New Year's Eve in the bathroom.

(Google Image) 

Spaghetti is cylindrical pasta made from semolina flour and water.  The name means thin string or twine.  It is used to make a variety of Italian dishes using different sauces such as marinara, cabonera and alfredo sauce.

Today is National Spaghetti Day.  It is a fast, inexpensive, and romantic meal.   Who could forget the dinner between the Lady and the Tramp?  If you don't want to use the jar of sauce, I am giving you the recipe that my cousin got from a local restaurant chef.  I am also included the meatballs too.  Give it a try; I am sure you will love it as much as we did.

(Google Image) 

Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients

  • 1 28oz can tomato puree or 3 10oz cans
  • 1 small can italian tomato paste
  • 1 14 oz can italian stewed tomatoes
  • 1 larg can water
  • 1 beef boullion cube
  • fresh garlic to taste
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • 1 cup Romano/parmesan mixture cheese (grated or powder)


Directions

Mix sauce ingredients in large dutch oven and simmer

Meatballs

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds ground sirloin
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
  • fresh garlic to taste
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oragano
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 cup Romano/parmesean mixture cheese (grated or powder)


Directions

Mix all ingredients for meatballs and form into small meatballs and brown in skillet.  Add to sauce and cook at least 2 hours on low heat.  Serve over spaghetti noodles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...