Monday, January 23, 2012

National Pie Day


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest,

Little Jack Horner
By Mother Goose

Little Jack Horner
Sat in the corner,
Eating a Christmas pie;
He put in his thumb,
And pulled out a plum,
And said, "What a good boy am I!"
Yum! Apple
(Google Image) 
If you are eating in a restaurant in the south, chances are you will see Pecan Pie on the menu.   While Apple Pie may be all American, Pecan Pie is all Southern!  It is the first pie I ever baked, and one that I have baked thousands of times during my life.  Baking them can get a little tricky at times, the filling may not want to set properly, and then you have runny syrup instead of a nice firm pie.
Pecan Pie
(Google Image) 
While Pecan Pie may be my favorite, there are many different pies to choose from.  Not all pies are sweet desserts; there are savory pies as well.  One of my family's favorite is Chicken Pot Pie.  My grandmother used to make individual chicken pot pies and they were always eaten up quickly.  They were so much better than the frozen ones, and you can add whatever vegetables you like in them.
Chicken Pot Pie
(Google Image) 
Meat pies have been around for centuries.  In 9500 B.C., the Stone Age, pies were made to be able to transport food easily, and to keep it fresher longer.  Of course it was not the same thing as we would identify as a pie today.  In 2000 B.C. a recipe for Chicken Pie was written on the wall of Pharaoh’s tomb.

In the 1800's people in North America began to put a scoop of ice cream on their fruit pies, this is known as Pie a la' Mode.
Pretty sure Granny's kin-folks started this (Yum)
(Google Image)
Today is National Pie Day.  What every type is your favorite; you won't go wrong eat a slice today.  I am including my never fail recipe for Pecan Pie.  If you get a chance, give it a try today.  Or you can watch the movie Michael, and sing along with the pie song:

Pie
Pie
Me oh my
Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry
all at once o well it's pie
Apple!
Pumpkin!
Minced
an' wet bottom.
Come to your place everyday if you've got em'
Pie
Me o my
I love pie

Diane's Pecan Pie

Ingredients:

  • 1 Regular pie shell (not deep dish)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Karo syrup
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup chopped pecans


Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix sugar, syrup and melted butter.  Add beaten eggs and 1 tsp vanilla.  Add pecans to syrup and mix well.  Bake in oven for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for 30 minutes.  Pie is done when center of pie shakes a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...