Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Love Makes the World Go Round



(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest,

On a warm summer day in a department store in the delta in the early 1970's I got my first kiss.  A singing group, Tom and John Keene, had come to our town to sign records.  I remember standing in the room full of screaming girls waiting for them to show up.  I was close to the front of the line, so when I got my autograph, I hung around a little while.  Then I noticed the girls behind me were getting kisses!  I thought to myself.....Wait a minute!!! We can kiss them??? Well I marched right back to the table, broke in line even, and planted a kiss one of them.  It was just a quick peck on the lips, but it must have knocked my brain right out of my head.  I don't remember much else about that day.  I was walking around in a daze, or was it clouds?
(Google Image)
I was just a young girl then, and while I thought I was in love, I was really just having a crush.  It would be many years before I would fall in love.  When I did fall in love, the man I would fall in love with occupied my every thought.  I would light up like a Christmas tree every time I saw him and be heartbroken when he would leave.  He made me laugh, he made me cry, he was smart and sweet, thoughtful and aggravating.  He was my first thought in the morning and my last thought at night.  He made life worth living.  I wonder if Lewis Carroll felt the same way.

In the mid 1800's Lewis Carroll wrote "Love makes the world go round".  Sean Connery wrote, “Love may not make the world go round, but I must admit that it makes the ride worthwhile."  Whatever you think, everyone wants someone to love and for someone to love them.  There are many songs written about love, there are poems, books, movies all about love.  There were wars fought over love, crimes of passion, even dying for love as in Romeo and Juliet.

Love can make us do crazy things...that is why it is also Laughter keeps us from getting Dizzy Week.

Grandpa John was celebrating his 100th birthday and everybody complimented him on how athletic and well-preserved he appeared. "Gentlemen, I will tell you the secret of my success," he cackled. "I have been in the open air day after day for some 75 years now."

The celebrants were impressed and asked how he managed to keep up his rigorous fitness regime.

"Well, you see my wife and I were married 75 years ago. On our wedding night, we made a solemn pledge. Whenever we had a fight, the one who was proved wrong would go outside and take a walk."
(Google Image)
According to answers.com, this week is dedicated to Victor Borge’s notion that “Laughter is the shortest distance between two people” and Joel Goodman’s notion that “Seven days without laughter makes one weak.” This is a chance to lighten your relationships and to reinforce the connection between “heart” and “hearty laughter.”  So this week fall in love again, and remember laughter is the best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...