Friday, February 17, 2012

National Gum Drop Day


(Google Image)

By Diane Forrest,

A friend of mine has a little girl who is in the third grade at her school.  In her science class she has to make a model of a molecule.  This brought me back to my elementary school years when we also made molecule models.  In my class, we used gum drops, sticking them together with tooth picks.  I can't really say how effective it was in teaching how molecules are formed, but I can say that the lesson was a tasty treat!

Gumdrops are cone shaped candies made from gelatin or pectin, flavored and colored, and rolled in granulated sugar.  They are famous at Christmas time when building gingerbread houses.  They are bright and colorful; they keep their shape and are easy to work with.
(Google Image)
There is another type of gum drop called spice drops...their flavors include: The spice drop color/flavor code is generally as follows [but varies by manufacturer]: orange is clove, yellow is allspice, red is cinnamon, green is spearmint, purple is cardamom or anise, white is wintergreen or peppermint, and black is licorice.  My husband loved these, so I was always on the lookout for them around the holidays.

Today is National Gum Drop Day, so take a trip down memory lane and grab a bag, or stop by your local elementary school and build some molecule models with a third grade class.

(Google Image)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...