Saturday, March 31, 2012

National "She's Funny that Way" Day


(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest

This weekend my family had a small get together to celebrate my father's birthday.  My son was there, and he never misses and opportunity to get one over on me, and I always fall right into his trap.  This time was no exception.  For his birthday celebration, my father wanted to bbq hamburgers at home on the grill.  My son went to the store to get the things that were needed for the dinner, and when he came home he said, “I ran into someone at the store who said you look just like an owl!"  I’m sure I had a questioning look on my face, because I was thinking, "why would anyone say that about me, I don't wear glasses” That was the first image that popped into my mind because of that tootsie roll pop commercial, you know the one that says "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?"  Then the owl goes one, two, three, then eats the whole thing.

(Google Image)  
So after thinking for a few seconds, I asked the only logical question to this statement, "Who?"  Well he did it again!  Everyone erupted in laughter and I was standing there unknowingly providing them with a few minutes of entertainment.

(Google Image)  
Another thing that sends them into fits of laughter is a particular comment I have after eating a really good meal at my parent's home.  I never even noticed it until after one meal I said it and sent them howling.  It is customary in our home to tell the cook of the meal that you enjoyed your dinner.  I always add a little something extra.  After dinner I exclaimed my usual "I enjoyed my dinner" followed with "It was delicious and nutritious!"  Little did I know that I had just won a bet for someone along with more giggles and guffaws.

(Google Image)  
I am not the only woman in my family who amuses the clan.  My mother, who is known as Ama (pronounced A-Maw) by my son, because he couldn’t say grandma when he started speaking, is a constant source of entertainment.  She is not a stand-up comedian, but she makes so many off the wall comments, that my father as termed them "Amaisms", and has encouraged my son to keep a journal of them over the years.

Making someone laugh is not a very easy task, below is a list of the top 10 female stand up comedians:
  1. Ellen DeGeneres
  2. Kathy Griffin
  3. Whoopie Goldberg
  4. Roseanne Barr
  5. Phyllis Diller
  6. Lily Tomlin
  7. Minnie Pearl
  8. Margaret Cho
  9. Wanda Sykes
  10. Sarah Silverman


When my husband was bedridden he would watch Ellen every day.  She could always make him laugh, and laughter is the best medicine.  Today is National "She's Funny that Way" Day.   

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to list the top 5 things the ladies in your life say or do that make you laugh.  You may also let them know that the things they say or day always brings a smile to your face and make the day a little brighter.

2 comments:

  1. I just happened to run across your blog this morning when I googled National "She's Funny that Way" Day. I shared your blog on Facebook for my Navy Wives Clubs of America chapter. Awesome that you are a Navy Veteran =O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the blog article. I hope you visit often and share them as well. If you have any questions or suggestions for future articles, please feel free to forward them to me. Please stay safe and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...