Monday, March 26, 2012

Quirky Country Music


(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest

When I was younger I lived in the Mississippi Delta.  We were about an hour from Memphis Tennessee, and we listened to the Disco Duck on the Memphis radio station.  Well, all the "cool" kids did at least.  There was a family who lived a few houses down from us, and they listened to Country Music!!!  Ohhh the horrors!  You would have thought they were a family of aliens from another planet.  Since they were my neighbors, I did my best to be neighborly to them, but secretly I wished their radio would break.

(Google Image)  
As the years went by the more I started listening to country music.  Not the Hee Haw kind of songs like Pickin’ and Grinnin’, but music by Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, and, Toby Keith, or what I like to call the New Country.  This music is great for so many reasons, but the main ones are, they don't bust your ear drums, and you can actually understand the words and they all tell a story, much like things that happen in your own life.
(Google Image)  
There are still some Hee Haw songs out there, like She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy, so today is a holiday in recognition of all those Quirky Country Music songs.  Some of the top quirky song titles include:
  • I Fell In A Pile Of You And Got Love All Over Me
  • I Gave Her the Ring, and She Gave Me the Finger
  • I Changed Her Oil, She Changed My Life
  • Walk Out Backwards Slowly So I'll Think You're Walking In
  • How Can You Believe Me When I Say I Love You, When You Know I've Been A Liar All My Life?
  • My John Deere Was Breaking Your Field, While Your Dear John Was Breaking My Heart
  • I've Got Hair Oil On My Ears And My Glasses Are Slipping Down, But Baby I Can See Through You
  • You Were Only A Splinter As I Slid Down The Banister Of Life
  • I've Been Flushed From The Bathroom Of Your Heart
  • I Flushed You From The Toilets Of My Heart
  • Get Your Biscuits In The Oven, And Your Buns In The Bed
  • Your Negligee Has Turned To Flannel Nightgowns
  • I Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling
  • You're a Hard Dog To Keep Under The Porch
  • My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Sure Do Miss Him
  • If Whiskey Were A Woman, I'd Be Married For Sure
  • Make Me Late For Work Today
  • How Can I Miss You if You Won't Go Away?
  • I Would Have Wrote You A Letter, But I Couldn't Spell Yuck!
  • All I Want From You (Is Away)
  • I'll Marry You Tomorrow, But Let's Honeymoon Tonight
  • If You Leave Me, Can I Come Too?
  • Don't Believe My Heart Can Stand Another You
  • How Come Your Dog Don't Bite Nobody But Me?
  • She's Actin' Single I'm Drinkin' Doubles
  • I Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You
  • If My Nose Were Full of Nickels, I'd Blow It All On You
  • Who's Gonna Take The Garbage Out When I'm Dead And Gone?
  • She Walked Across My Heart Like It Was Texas
  • If Love Were Oil, I'd Be A Quart Low
  • Thanks To The Cathouse, I'm In The Doghouse With You
  • They May Put Me In Prison, But They Can't Stop My Face From Breakin' Out
  • If I Ain't Got It, You Don't Need It
  • You're The Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly
  • I Wanted You To Leave Until You Left Me
  • Did I Shave my Legs for This?
  • I'm The Only Hell Mama Ever Raised
  • If You Don't Leave Me, I'll Find Someone Who Will
  • Hold On To Your Men Cause She's Single Again
  • She Got The Gold Mine And I Got The Shaft
  • You're Going To Ruin My Bad Reputation
  • You Done Tore Out My Heart And Stomped That Sucker Flat
  • I Got Tears In My Ears From Lying On My Bed Crying On My Pillow Over You
  • She Feels Like A New Man Tonight
  • At the Gas Station of Love, I Got the Self Service Pump
  • Get Your Tongue Out Of My Mouth, Because I'm Kissing You Goodbye
  • She Made Toothpicks Out Of The Timber Of My Heart
  • If Fingerprints Showed Up On Skin, Wonder Whose I'd Find On You
  • When You Leave Walk Out Backwards, So I'll Think You're Walking In
  • Velcro Arms, Teflon Heart
  • Mama Get The Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)
  • She Got The Ring And I Got The Finger
  • Guess My Eyes Were Bigger Than My Heart
  • I May Be Used, But Baby I Ain't Used Up
  • If You Can't Bite, Don't Growl

(Google Image)  
These songs are not only funny and catchy, but they also make us realize that we can laugh and enjoy music, and we don’t have to take things so serious all the time.  Today is Quirky Country Music Day, so turn the radio on your local country music station, and have fun.

For more quirky country songs check out this site: http://www.funny2.com/songs.htm

(Google Image)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...