Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

Never saw you look quite so pretty before
Never saw you dressed quite so lovely what's more
I could hardly wait to keep our date this lovely Easter morning
And my heart beat fast as I came through the door
For

In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it
You'll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade

Rodney, Mama and Diane
I always think of Easter as being the time to get a new Easter dress and white shoes.  One year there was even a pair of white gloves, and the bouffant hair dos.  Easter was not the big gift exchange that Christmas is, but we always had a basket full of goodies, hard boiled eggs and socks and underwear.  The Easter bunny always brought socks and underwear.  Every Easter morning we would get up, hunt for eggs, my brother always found the most, and then we would go to church, come home and eat ham, potato salad and deviled eggs.  Each family has their own traditions.  Some get together with family, some celebrate with a brunch, families with many children will have their own hunts.  Some attend a sunrise service at their church, and this year our church will be hosting a large event with several (11) scenes depicting the day of the crucifixion.

Easter Egg Hunt
The mountains of chocolate bunnies, marshmallow peeps and candy eggs are delicious and wearing new clothes and spending time with family is great, but the purpose of Easter is to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus.  Christmas and Easter are the biggest days at my church.  The pews are packed, the music is wonderful, the decorations are beautiful but it is the occasion that makes it the most special.  I always get emotional when I sing the hymns of Easter, they always bring me such hope that I was loved so much that God sent his son to die for me, so that I would have eternal life.

Jason
Easter is also the time of new life in the world.  The flowers are blooming, the grass is growing, and babies are being born.  One of my favorite flowers that bloom this time of year is the Dogwood.  Below is the legend of the Dogwood, and that makes it more special to me.

(Google Image) 
At the time of Crucifixion the dogwood had been the size of the oak and other forest trees. So firm and strong was the tree that it was chosen as the timber for the cross. To be used thus for such a cruel purpose greatly distressed the tree, and Jesus nailed upon it, sensed this.

(Google Image)
In His gentle pity for all sorrow and suffering Jesus said to the tree:
“Because of your regret and pity for my suffering, never again shall the dogwood tree grow large enough to be used as a cross. Henceforth it shall be slender and bent and twisted and its blossoms shall be in the form of a cross--two long and two short petals. And in the center of the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints, brown with rust and stained with red, and in the center of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see it will remember."

This Easter, enjoy the day with your family, and give thanks to the Lord for all of his blessings.

Up from the grave he arose;
with a mighty triumph o'er his foes;
he arose a victor from the dark domain,
and he lives forever, with his saints to reign.
He arose! He arose! Hallelujah! Christ arose!

(Google Image)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...