Thursday, May 17, 2012

Love a Tree


(Google Image) 



TREES
by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)
THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree

By Diane Forrest

When I was in the 7th grade we were required to memorize a poem for English class.  I chose the poem Trees, I’m sure because it was short.  I still remember each line of this poem, and say it to myself whenever I am out driving down the Natchez Trace, a road filled with trees on each side.   That same year in science class, we would walk outside and gather leaves to learn how to identify the tree it belonged to.  I guess you could say that year was every enlightening for me when it came to trees.

(Google Image) 
Trees are very beneficial to the earth.  They prevent soil erosion, they provide shade in the summer and are used for firewood for heat in the winter.  They become home to many creatures, and provide food and entertainment.

(Google Image) 
You can climb a tree, hang a swing from a tree, and even carve your true love's name on a tree.  You can plant a tree when a child is born, or any significant event.  You can even plant a tree for no reason at all.

(Google Image) 
Today is love a tree day.  If you have the space in your yard, why not plant a tree today.  If you don't have room you can get a bonsai tree for your home.  Other things you can do is hang a birdfeeder on the limbs, or squirrel feeders, or just water and fertilize your trees.  Poems are made by fools like me...but only God can make a tree.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...