Wednesday, July 18, 2012

National Grilling Month


(Google Image) 

By Chef Diane

The other day I had gone to my dad's to watch Judge Judy with him and a commercial came on, advertising a new type of grill.  It was a Bic Flame Disk A really neat product that you place in a grill, hold a flame to one of the open holes, and in no time it will catch on fire and last for 30 to 45 minutes, cooking your meat with little or no mess.  As I watched this I thought of all kinds of uses for this product.  It would be perfect to take to a picnic, to the beach, anywhere you want to cook food outside, and not have the mess of lugging around charcoal and lighter fluid, wait for it to heat up enough to cook, and then have to clean it up.

(Google Image) 
July is National Grilling Month.  Every weekend you can go outside in my neighborhood and smell the wonderful aroma of delicious meat cooking.  I don't know what it is about the flavor that just makes everything taste better when its cooked outside. Grilling is not just for meats anymore.  These days you can cook just about anything on a grill, from fruits and vegetables to pizza, to desserts. Since we have already given you safety tips on grilling, I would like to share with you some delicious recipes.  Here is a site I found that has recipes for nearly anything you can think of:  http://www.grilling.com/recipes/?gclid=CL3ojbrOmbECFcua7QodDg6IiA

(Google Image) 
I am including a really simple recipe for my cousin's grilled chicken shish kabobs.  All you need is a bottle of Italian dressing, some vegetables, and metal skewers and a grill.

(Google Image) 
Cut up the chicken in bite size pieces, then soak them along with the vegetables in the dressing for a few hours.  Alternate the chicken with the vegetable; you can use squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, whatever you like.  Then grill for 15 to 20 minutes until done. A picture of the finished product is shown here.

(Google Image) 
So this month, when it’s just too hot to heat up the oven in the house, step outside to your grill and try some new and tasty meals.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...