Friday, August 10, 2012

National Garage Sale Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

When I was young, I remember we were going to move to a different city, so our family had a huge garage sale with 3 other families.  It was a great day, there were people shopping, and I was there helping, running the cash box and helping to sell old clothes and toys.   We were even treated with a hamburger for lunch for all our hard work.  As I got older, I was in a club that was having a fund raiser.  We decided on a garage sale to raise money, and all the members brought things to donate.  I had such a great time that I kept returning home to find more stuff to sell!

(Google Image) 
When my son was younger, he spent the week with his grandparents.  One of their neighbors had a garage sale all week.  His grandmother would give him a dollar and he would go find something that he wanted.   He had such a great time that when he came home, we had to go to garage sales every weekend I was off.  We found all sorts of great things.  So much stuff - that we had to stop going because we ran out of room to put anything else.

(Google Image) 
Today is National Garage Sale Day.  There are some tips that I have learned along the way in my quest for good finds.  The most important tip is to buy a map.  Well I guess now you can use a gps.  Check the paper for ads.  Then map out  the route you want to take.  The ads will usually say what time the sale starts, but nobody pays attention to that. If the ad states the sale will start at 7, people will show up at 6 or earlier just to find the good stuff.  If the ad is published the day before the sale, people will come the day before.

(Google Image) 
Reader's digest had a list of 10 things you should never buy at a garage sale.  They include:
  1. Bike helmets
  2. Child car seats
  3. Tires
  4. Swim suits
  5. Mattresses
  6. Cribs
  7. Laptops
  8. Plasma TV’s
  9. Shoes
  10. Hats


Today, go out and hit a few garage sales, you will be surprised at what you can find, and you will get some good bargains along the way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...