Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Orange and Papaya Month

(Google Image) 

Chef Diane

I love fruit, especially exotic fruit, such as kiwi, mangos, and papayas.  Every time I see them I can just picture myself on a tropical island listening to the waves splash on the shores, sitting under a palm tree and having a waiter bring me a tray of slices exotic fruit.  However, in reality, I will usually buy a can of Delmont tropical fruit; pour it in a bowl and much on it during a television show.  But...I guess you get the same feeling when you take a bath in Calgon bath salts.  Just let Calgon take you away.

(Google Image) 
This month we celebrate Oranges and Papayas.  Oranges are a little more common than papayas, but they are still great.  They are full of vitamin C and are readily available. I took a trip for a meeting in Florida one year, and fresh squeezed orange juice was served.  Im sure I must have had a gallon of it.  It was the best tasting juice I have ever had, especially since I didn't have to squeeze it.  Vitamin C is also great when you have a scratchy feeling in your throat that may indicate the beginning of a cold.  My mother in law and my father both swear by it.  So I figure it can't hurt to drink it to help prevent any sickness

(Google Image) 
Papayas are a little more exotic.  While they can still be found in the grocery store, they are not as accessible as oranges.  There are 2 types, one grown in Mexico, the other in Hawaii.  The Hawaiian ones are the ones you will find at the grocery store. they are pear shaped, have orange flesh and filled with black seeds down the center. Christopher Columbus once called the papaya the "fruit of the angels," and for good reason! This fruit that is slightly larger than a mango is bursting with nutritional goodness. It’s full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.

(Google Image) 

This month is Orange and Papaya month, so to celebrate I have included a recipe for a smoothie that contains these fruits.  I also read that Simon Cowell of American Idol fame also begins his day with some papaya juice. So, what have you got to lose?  Enjoy a fresh smoothie this month.

Orange and Papaya Smoothie

Ingredients
  • 1 cup papaya, frozen
  • ½ cup orange juice
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar


Directions
  1. Peel, cube, and freeze papaya a day in advance.
  2. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend.
  3. If desired consistency is not reached, add ice as needed and blend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...