Saturday, September 15, 2012

International Day of Democracy

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

One of the first things I did when I woke up on my 18th birthday was to go to the courthouse and register to vote.  To me, that was one of the most important responsibility I had. Not only were there many woman who fought tirelessly to give me that right, but it gave me alot of pride to know that my decision counted in the running of things in my city, county and country. I felt very fortunate and blessed to know that my opinion matters. Every time I moved, I would always run to the courthouse and register to vote so that when election time came around, I would be set.
(Google Image) 
We have the good fortune to live in a democratic society.  What this mean is that Democracy is a form of government in which all eligible citizens have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Democracy allows people to participate equally—either directly or through elected representatives—in the proposal, development, and creation of laws. It encompasses social, economic and cultural conditions that enable the free and equal practice of political self-determination.
(Google Image) 
There is no better time now that to exercise your rights to democracy.  In just a few weeks we will be electing the President of the United States for the next four years.  Now is the time to listen to the candidates and then make an informed opinion on who you want to be your voice and make the decisions that will benefit our country.  Like my daddy always told me, if you don't vote, then if things don't turn out the way you want, you don't have the right to complain.
(Google Image) 
Today is International Day of DemocracyIf you haven't registered to vote yet, please take a few minutes to do that.  If you are registered, don't forget to vote on Election Day.  Make Democracy work for you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...