Tuesday, September 11, 2012

National Chocolate Milkshake Day


(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest

When my father was younger, he worked at a drug store after school.  In those days many drug stores had ice cream fountains.  He would always tell me stories about working at the fountain and fixing ice cold treats.  When he would tell me the stories, he was usually making some sort of treat for us at the time.  One of the best things he made was a chocolate milk shake.  They were thick and creamy and chocolate, and when I sucked on the straw, my cheeks would cave in.

When he started working, he had to travel alot in the state.  His travels would lead him to several out of the way places, and while he was there, he would locate local places to eat.  He located such a place in Belzoni, Mississippi, called the Pig Stand.  It was up in the delta, and we would have to drive through on our way to our vacation spot.  We would always stop at the Pig Stand for a thick chocolate shake, because they made them the same way that my father did when he was a young soda jerk.

(Google Image) 
When we moved here, one of the first things I located was a place to get chocolate milkshakes.  I found the Malt shop pictured here.  One of the city's biggest tragedies was when someone lost control of their car and crashed into the Malt Shop.  Luckily, it was repaired quickly, and we are now able to once again enjoy their wonderful shakes made with real ice cream, milk and chocolate syrup.

(Google Image) 
Today is National Chocolate Milkshake Day.  It’s not hard to find a place in your city or town; in fact, I have noticed that fast food places are now putting whipped cream and cherries on top of their milkshakes.   They are not hard to make, a friend of mine frequently makes them at his place of business.  All you need is 2 scoops of ice cream, about a half cup of milk, depending on how thick you like them, and some chocolate syrup.  Place it in a blender then pour in a glass. Then enjoy!  Not only are they delicious, but full of vitamin D and calcium too.  I recently read an article about serving chocolate drinks to senior citizens.  The benefits which come from the flavonoids found in dark chocolate, were great!  They improved their spirits, and their health.

I also read that the first reference to a milkshake appeared in a British newspaper in 1885? The original recipe called for a shot of whiskey!  However you like your milkshakes, celebrate today on chocolate milkshake day with an ice cold creamy shake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...