Saturday, October 13, 2012

Chocolate Covered Insect Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

As many of you know, I love chocolate...and anything dipped in chocolate. Well almost anything.  Today is Chocolate covered Insect Day.  Now I’m not a bug lover, and although they are considered a delicacy in some parts of the world, the main insects being ants, grasshoppers, and scorpions, I’m still not sure I want to give them a shot.

(Google Image) 
As I was researching for this article, I came across an article about a man who died during a contest for eating live cockroaches. This happened in Florida, and it was apparently some sort of fear factor contest.  He didn't appear to be sick before eating the roaches, and the bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles."  So he must have had an allergy to the insects.

(Google Image) 
If you are a brave soul and want to try some chocolate covered insects, they can be found online at several candy supply sites. I just Google chocolate covered insects and found plenty.  So...today, on chocolate covered insect day, if you dare, try some ants or grasshoppers, I hear they taste like popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...