Wednesday, November 21, 2012

National Cashew Day

(Google Image) 

By Chef Diane

A few weeks ago, as I was looking through the sale papers, I noticed there was a store that had nuts on sale.  I got a few bags of pistachio nuts for a friend, a few jars of roasted peanuts for my father, and a few cans of cashews for my trash mix that I make at Christmas.   Every year I make trash mix, or Chex mix.  I always put a can of mixed nuts, and 2 cans of cashews, because anyone who has ever made trash can tell you that people pick through and eat the cashews first.
Dear Santa...
(Google Image) 
I also had an uncle who loved them, and he always got a huge can full at each gift giving occasion.   Cashews are very low in Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Magnesium, Phosphorus, Copper and Manganese.  They make a great snack, and a healthy treat.
(Google Image) 
Today is National Cashew Day; why not celebrate the day by eating some or using them in your favorite recipe.  Below is my recipe for Trash...it’s simple to make, and a delicious treat!

CHEX TRASH MIX

Ingredients

6 cups Corn Chex
6 cups Rice Chex
1/2 bag pretzels, the knot type
1 large can mixed nuts
1 large can cashew nuts
6 TBS butter
2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp season salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 250. 
In a large roaster combine all the ingredients and mix.
Melt butter and mix with Worcestershire sauce and season salt. 
Pour over cereal slowly, stirring as you pour. 
Place in oven and stir every 15 minutes. 
Careful not to crush the cereal. 
Remove in 1 hour and spread over paper towel. 
Let cool and then bag up.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...