Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Carol Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

When I first saw this title on the assignment sheet, I thought I would have to sing Christmas Carols all day.  This would be fine for my mother; she walks around singing Jingle Bells in the stores all year long.  After checking it out though, I discovered that today is devoted to the story, A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens - which was published in 1843.

(Google Image) 

This is a wonderful story about a mean selfish old man, Ebenezer Scrooge.  He is visited by 4 ghosts over the night on Christmas Eve.  The first, Jacob Marley, his old business partner, and he tried to convince Scrooge to change his ways lest he end up spending eternity the way he is.   Then he is visited by the ghost of Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Future. These revelations made Scrooge realize what a miserable man he was, and how he needed to change his life, and let others share in his world.

This story has been adapted into movies many times.  From Mickey Mouse and Mister Magoo, to George C. Scott and Bill Murray.  There have also been women portrayed in the roll of scrooge, Susan Lucci as Ebbie, and Whoopi Goldberg as Ebonite.

(Google Image) 
I have seen each of these movies, love each one, but my favorite was made in 1938, and it starred Reginald Owen as Scrooge. When it was colorized, you could see the beautiful costumes and sets, and I love the time in which it took place.
(Google Image) 
Today is A Christmas Carol Day.  Don't wait until you are visited by ghosts to change your life around.  Start being a kind, generous and good person today, and every day of the year.  If you can't find the movie on television, you can always watch it here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029992/?ref_=fn_al_tt_7   If you don’t have time to watch it today, then go around and sing Jingle Bells all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...