Friday, December 7, 2012

It is Older Driver Safety Awareness Week

(Google Image) 

By Terry Orr

We have all seen those older drivers that seem totally lost and should pull over, stop and get out of their cars. They simply have no business driving.  The early baby boomers are beginning to close in on when they need to think about their own driving habit and safety for themselves and others around them.
(Google Image) 

I have not been a good passenger for decades – although carpooling has helped me in that regard, I fully understand that at some point – someone else should be driving.  Over the past couple of years, my loving wife (who scares ‘the you know what’ out of me at times) drive more often – a transition if you will – so it will become a safe habit for me and other drivers.
(Google Image) 

In my travels – age is only one small piece of the pie of potentially unsafe drivers on the roadways.  Distracted drivers (this includes law enforcement personnel); folks who are recent imports to America and unaccustomed to our way of driving; driving vehicles that are long overdue for recycling; discourteous drivers; road rage; and last by certainly not least stupid drivers. I think Gallagher had it right – we should have those rubber tipped dart guns with flags attached that say “stupid” – that way when a cop notices someone with three or more darts, simple pulls them over and cites them for stupid driving.
(Google Image) 
In closing, if you have older family or friends whose driving skills are lacking, please encourage and help them find alternative means of transportation. Help them form good habits - and reduce the need to drive themselves.
(Google Image) 

Good luck and safe driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...