Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Enjoying Chocolate Week - Yum!




By Diane Forrest

I recently had to take my car to the shop for repairs.  I thought I would have it back later in the day, however they were going to have to keep it from Wednesday til Friday.  The first thing I did was to check my chocolate stash.  Raisinettes, check, Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies, check, Ghirradelle peppermint bark, check.  That should hold me for a couple of days.  No matter what you have, if you are not able to get what you want right when you want it, you can go berserk...or at least I can.  One of the first things I purchased after my car was returned was a package of Grandma's Chocolate Chip cookies!

This week is American Chocolate Week.  It comes after you have finished off your supply of Valentine's chocolate, and before the Easter Bunny brings you some Reece's Eggs.  Chocolate.com states that not only is it wonderful, it is also good for you. Chocolate also contains three chemicals that are good for your brain, and can make you feel better. 

    1.   Anandamine: can extend your feelings of happiness and make you laugh more often.
  1. Phenylethylamine: raises blood pressure and blood sugar levels just enough to make you more alert, and gives you that "love" feeling.
  2. Theobromine: similar to caffeine. It causes relaxation, but also acts as a stimulant by increasing your brain activity.

Don't be surprised if you notice there are a lot of candy sales in your area, and don't be afraid to stock up.  Some ways you can celebrate Chocolate week include:
  • Cook with chocolate, bake a pie or cake, even make some fudge.
  • try some chocolate from other parts of the world
  • If you are a milk chocolate lover, try some dark chocolate, the benefits from the dark chocolate are even greater than milk chocolate.
  • Watch Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory while munching on some raisinettes or Malt-balls.

Enjoy Chocolate week, and let us know how you plan to celebrate.

(All images from Google)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...