Wednesday, May 22, 2013

National Taffy Day


By Diane Forrest

Growing up in a small delta town, there wasn't a whole lot to do.  We didn't have malls or amusement parks, only 3 channels on the television set, and no Internet!  One thing I did have was books.  I would spend the day losing myself in other worlds.  One of my favorite books was the Nancy Drew Mysteries.  Not only did I like them for the mystery, but also the wonderful descriptions of all the meals and snacks Nancy ate.  In one particularly interesting story, Nancy and her friends Bess and George attended a taffy pull with other friends.  At that time I didn't know what taffy was, much less the purpose of pulling it.
Several years later my family moved to the capital state, and attended the State Fair.  It was there that I had my first taste of taffy.  It was sweet chewy and delicious.  I ended up buying a whole bag of it, and waiting for the next year's fair to come back so I could get more!

These days, I can no long eat taffy due to dental work it could wreck, but that didn't stop my son from bringing back a box of brightly colored flavored chewy taffy to tempt me with.  My mother also brought back a box from her trip to Tennessee and was surprised when I didn't even offer her a piece.

If you live in an area where taffy is not available, I have found a recipe here that you can use to make some at home.  You can spend a fun evening with your family experiencing an old-fashioned taffy pull, and hopefully leaving your fillings in tact during the process.  To check out the recipe, click here: http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/recipe-taffy.html
(All images from Google) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...