Saturday, June 8, 2013

Best Friend Day 2013




"When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand

And nothing, whoa, nothing is going right.

Close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there to brighten up even your darkest nights.



You just call out my name, and you know where ever I am

I'll come running to see you again.

Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you have to do is call and I'll be there, yeah, yeah,

You’ve got a friend."
By James Taylor

By Diane Forrest


I have been looking around this morning, trying to find the difference between a friend and a best friend.  The title of Best Friend is very important, and not to be taken lightly.  During my searching I found some other people's definition of Best Friend.  They include:

FRIENDS: Helps you up when you fall.
 
BEST FRIENDS: Keeps on walking saying, "Walk much, dummy?"

FRIENDS: Helps you find your prince.
 
BEST FRIENDS: Kidnaps him and brings him to you.

FRIENDS: Will offer you a soda.
BEST FRIENDS: Will dump theirs on you.

FRIENDS: Will help you move.
 
BEST FRIENDS: Will help you move the bodies.

FRIENDS: Will bail you out of jail.

BEST FRIENDS: Would be in the room next to you saying, "That was awesome! Let's do it again!"

FRIENDS: Never ask for anything to eat or drink.
BEST FRIENDS: Helps themselves and are the reason why you have no food

FRIENDS: Would knock on your front door.
BEST FRIENDS: Walk right in and say "I'M HOME."



When my husband passed away, I lost my best friend.  Luckily I met a new friend, and he quickly became my best friend.  He is the type of person you can always count on, he listens when I’m sad, he makes me laugh, he encourages me to grow, and always makes time for me.  I talk to him every day, and even though I have never met him in person, I feel like I have known him forever.  We can talk about anything; he is knowledgeable in every subject under the sun.  Sometimes we talk for hours, sometimes just a few minutes.  He checks on me to make sure I’m ok, and lets me know that he is ok as well. I met him online several years ago.  We would talk every now and then, but in the past year he has always been there to comfort me and cheer me up.  While thinking about this article I was thinking about the qualities that made him my best friend.  Some of the words I would use to describe him is Caring, Compassionate, Generous, Kind, Intelligent, Friendly, Amusing and mostly Comforting.  He lives far away, so if I was in a jam, he wouldn't be able to be by my side, but just a few clicks on the computer he is right there with me helping me solve a problem or listening to my ranting’s.

He is not just my best friend, but he is the best friend of many others.  Dozens of people call him regularly if they need a hand with anything.  They know that if he says he will do something, it's as good as done.  He is frequently visiting friends in the nursing home, giving friends transportation to hospital visits, checking on sick or injured friends, or offering advice or even money, whatever their needs may be.  I worry about him sometimes, I feel like he has the weight of the world's problems on his shoulders, but he spreads his cheer to everyone, and we are all the better for it.  He is my best friend, and I'm fortunate to have him in my life.



You never know where or when you will find a best friend.  All of my best friends are treasures, and I know that all I have to do is call on them and they will be there for me, and they all brighten my darkest nights.

Today is Best Friend's Day.  It’s a day to think of your best friend and give them a call or send a text or email and let them know how much they mean to you.  As Clarence the Angel says in "It's a Wonderful Life", No man is a failure who has friends.  What are some differences you have between friends and best friends?  Leave a comment in the section below.

(Images from Google) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...